- Home >
There are likely dozens of different gardening and landscaping services available in your area — with all of these options to choose from, how will you determine which provider is the best one for your specific needs? Below, we’ll go over which factors are most important to consider when making this decision, and we’ll also review the types of services these providers offer as well as the prices they tend to charge.
Why Are Gardening and Landscaping Services Important?
Even small properties can take a lot of time and effort to properly maintain. And if you have a large property, it’s probably all but impossible to maintain it yourself while also dealing with a full-time job, family obligations, and other everyday responsibilities. Gardening and landscaping services can manage all the time-consuming tasks that are required to maintain your property for you.
In addition to saving you time, these providers also save you from the expense of all the heavy-duty equipment that you would need to purchase in order to perform many of these tasks. Even if you did possess the time and equipment that is needed for these projects, you likely don’t have the expertise that it takes to complete more complicated landscaping jobs, such as cutting down a large tree or grinding a stump, safely and effectively.
Common Types of Gardening and Landscaping Services
While each provider offers a different set of services, you can generally expect some combination of the following options to be available:
- Lawn Maintenance: Many providers offer services such as lawn mowing, fertilization, and aeration.
- Tree Planting: Planting a small tree is an easy enough DIY project, but you should strongly consider using professional help for planting large trees or even a large number of smaller trees. In addition to assisting you with the labor, gardening and landscaping services can also help you select the best locations on your property to plant trees for both growing conditions and ornamental value.
- Tree Trimming: This service can improve the health and appearance of your trees, and it may be needed to help prevent storm damage to your home as well.
- Tree Removal: Cutting down a tree can be quite dangerous. As mentioned above, professional arborists have the equipment and expertise that’s needed to do this job safely.
- Stump Grinding & Removal: There are two options for removing stumps from your property — grinding, which is less invasive but leaves the stump’s roots remaining under the surface, or removal, which involves extracting the entire stump out of the ground.
- Gardens & Raised Beds: Landscaping services can do all the work of installing your garden infrastructure for you. Also, as with tree planting, they can provide you with expert advice on where to locate your plants for optimal growing conditions.
- Xeriscaping: This type of landscaping involves using elements such as rock lawns and drought-resistant plants to reduce or eliminate the need for irrigation.
- Irrigation Systems: If you do need irrigation, many providers are capable of installing sprinkler and drip systems as well as automatic watering timers and sensors.
- Hardscaping: Many providers are also capable of installing paved paths, retaining walls, and other hardscaping elements.
- Outdoor Lighting: This service can be used for aesthetic purposes and to improve security.
- Water Features: If you’re looking to add a dramatic centerpiece to your landscaping architecture, fountains, ponds, and other water features are an excellent option.
- Outdoor Kitchens: Anyone who often holds family gatherings or throws parties in their backyard should consider this addition to their home.
How Much Do Gardening and Landscaping Services Cost?
Some providers publish a list of fixed prices for their services, but most prefer to evaluate each project individually in order to determine a custom quote for the cost. There are many factors that are considered in these custom quotes — for example, you may be charged more if your property is located relatively far away from the provider or if the terrain is particularly difficult to navigate.
That said, in the table below we’ve used data from HomeAdvisor to give you a general idea of how much you should expect to pay for some of the most common gardening and landscaping services:
|Lawn mowing||$50 – $220|
|Lawn fertilization||$75 – $400|
|Lawn aeration||$75 – $200|
|Tree planting||$150 – $300 for small trees, up to $3,000 for mature trees|
|Tree trimming||$75 – $1,000|
|Flower garden installation||$300 – $3,000|
|Xeriscaping an entire outdoor area||$10,000 – $30,000|
|Retaining wall installation||$3,000 – $8,500|
|Water fountain installation||$1,000 – $4,500|
|Pond installation||$1,200 – $5,200|
|Outdoor kitchen construction||$4,600 – $20,000|
How to Find a Reputable Gardening and Landscaping Service
You won’t be able to truly evaluate a gardening and landscaping service until you try it out for yourself, but there are certainly ways to determine which providers are worth trying out in the first place.
Before you use any service, confirm that they have liability insurance. Ideally, any provider you’re considering will also have a 100% customer satisfaction policy or some similar guarantee. Finally, it’s important to look at the reviews published on platforms such as Google and Yelp when evaluating these services. Any provider with a large number of negative reviews can simply be disregarded, while providers who have nothing but positive reviews should be among the first options you consider.
Find Gardening and Landscaping Services Near Me
Considering all the factors that we’ve gone over in this guide, it might take you several hours to fully review all the gardening and landscaping services that are available in your local area. But if you live in one of the areas listed below, you’ll be able to save a lot of time by taking advantage of the research we’ve already done for you — the following guides cover the top gardening and landscaping services in many cities across the United States:
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Arlington, Texas
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Aurora, Colorado
- Austin, Texas
- Bakersfield, California
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Chicago, Illinois
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Dallas, Texas
- Denver, Colorado
- Detroit, Michigan
- El Paso, Texas
- Fort Worth, Texas
- Fresno, California
- Gilbert, Arizona
- Henderson, Nevada
- Houston, Texas
- Jacksonville, Florida
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Long Beach, California
- Los Angeles, California
- Lubbock, Texas
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Mesa, Arizona
- Miami, Florida
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Nashville, Tennessee
- New York City, New York
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Oakland, California
- Peoria, Illinois
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Plano, Texas
- Portland, Oregon
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Reno, Nevada
- Richmond, Virginia
- Sacramento, California
- San Antonio, Texas
- San Diego, California
- San Francisco, California
- San Jose, California
- Sarasota, Florida
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- Seattle, Washington
- Spokane, Washington
- Tucson, Arizona
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Washington, District of Columbia
- Wichita, Kansas
Gardening and Landscaping Resources
- 5 Best Compost Thermometers – Super Accurate Tools To Measure Your Compost Temperature
- 5 Best Deck Strippers For Removing Stains, Varnishes, Dirt, and Paint – Buying Guide & Reviews
- 5 Best Hand Tillers For Your Garden – Buying Guide & Reviews
- 5 Best Hose Timers You Can Buy Today
- 5 Best Humidifiers For Grow Rooms & Grow Tents
- 5 Best Hydroponic Grow Trays – Buyer’s Guide & Recommendation
- 5 Best Outdoor Brooms – Sweep Your Garden, Decks, Sidewalks With Ease
- 5 Best Potting Soil For Plants – Reviews & Buying Guide
- 5 Best Small Greenhouse Kits – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
- 5 Best Splitting Mauls – Buying Guide & Recommendation
- 6 Best Backyard Hammocks – Buying Guide & Recommendations
- 6 Best Deck Cleaners For Home & Garden Use – Buying Guide & Recommendation
- 6 Best Lawn Edgers For Your Lawn – Buying Guide & Reviews
- 6 Best Solar Post Lights To Lighten Your Garden & Fence
- 7 Best Expandable Hoses For The Garden – Reviews & Comparisons
- 8 Best Bedroom Plants That Purify The Air & Improve Your Sleep Quality
- 8 Best Books That Every Hydroponic Grower Should Read
- 8 Best Hydroponic System Reviews – Ready-made Hydroponic Kits To Grow Strong and Healthy Plants
- 10 Best Indoor Compost Bins – The Kitchen Storage & Composting Solution That You Should Not Lack
- Best Soil Moisture Meters – Buying Guide & Recommendation
- 10 Best Office Plants – The Definitive Guide
- 10 Best Soil Test Kits Reviews – Essential Equipment To Examine Your Garden Soil
- 10 Best Wheelbarrows of 2023– The Gardening Tool You Should Not Lack
- 10 Types of Organic & Inorganic Mulch You Can Use In the Garden
- 11 Different Types of Shovels (Anatomy, Uses & Pictures)
- 11 Free Garden Planners and Programs
- 12 Fantastic Garden Fence Ideas
- 13 Best Easiest Plants (Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits) That Can Be Hydroponically Grown
- 13 Simple Treehouse Ideas You Can Build For Your Kids This Weekend (Easy to Expert Levels)
- 14 Awesome Tire Planter Ideas For the Garden You Try Today
- 14 Low-Maintenance Water Plants – Growing Tips + Photos
- 15 Different Types of Lawn Mowers Explained
- 15 Different Types of Rakes and Their Uses
- 15 DIY Aquaponic Plans You Can Actually Build
- 15 Outstanding Decking Ideas To Inspire Your Garden Transformation
- 15 Smart Patio & Deck Shade Ideas
- 17 Lattice Fence Ideas For Inspiration
- 19 Types of Axes and Their Uses (Photos Plus Buying Guide)
- 20 Cool & Thoughtful Gifts For Gardeners
- 21 Backyard Pond Ideas For Inspiration
- 22 Practical and Pretty Retaining Wall Ideas
- 23 Cheap & Amazing Garden Edging Ideas You Can Try
- 24 DIY Raised Garden Bed Plans & Ideas That You Can Build In Your Garden
- 25 Amazing Backyard Garden Waterfall Ideas
- 25 Awesome Garden Trellis Ideas
- 25 Beautiful Cactus Garden Ideas
- 25 Beautiful Flower Bed Ideas
- 25 Best Pallet Garden Ideas
- 25 Fabulous Small Backyard Ideas
- 25 Incredible Vegetable Garden Ideas
- 25 Pretty Herb Garden Ideas
- 30 Walkway Ideas For Inspiration
- 33 Different Types of Saws with Pictures
- A Basic Guide To Seed Starting For Hydroponics
- A Complete Guide to Aquaponic Gardening
- A Deep Look At Aeroponics
- Advantages & Disadvantages of Hydroponics
- All about Spider Mites and How to Get Rid of Them
- Best Ant Killers: Top 10 Ant-Killing Products
- Best CFL Grow Lights – Grow Guide & Reviews
- Best Hydroponic Nutrients 2019: Reviews and Buying Guide
- Best Rooting Hormones For Propagation
- Best Soil Moisture Meters – Buying Guide & Recommendation
- Best Water Pumps For Hydroponics and Aquaponics
- Cal Mag for Plants – What You Need to Know
- Calcium Nitrate Fertilizer – How to Use It on Your Plants
- Cedar Mulch in the Garden – Uses, Pros & Cons, and Problems
- Chelated Iron for Plants – What You Need to Know
- Coconut Coir – What It Is, Varieties, and How to Use It
- Coffee Grounds for Gardening – Pros, Cons, and How to Use Them
- Crepe Myrtle Pruning – Why, When, and How to do It
- Deep Water Culture (DWC) – The Definitive Guide
- Despite environmental concerns, 3 in 5 Gen Zers buying roses for partners this Valentine’s Day
- Diatomaceous Earth In the Garden: What It Is and How to Use It For Plants
- Different Types of Earthworms with Pictures & Facts
- Dutch Bucket / Bato Bucket Hydroponic System
- Ebb & Flow (Flood and Drain) Hydroponic System
- Epsom Salt for Plants – Tips For Using Epsom Salt In The Garden
- Fish Emulsion Fertilizer – How to Use Fish Emulsion On Plants
- Fogponics – How to Grow with Fog
- Fungus Gnats – How to Identify, Prevent, and Control Them
- Grow Room Ventilation Systems – A Beginner’s Guide
- Growing Lettuces At Home – What You Need To Know
- Guide to Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) in Hydroponics
- History Of Garden Gnomes – Origin, Meaning, Uses & Debate
- How Light Affects Plant Growth – What You Need to Know
- How to Clone Plants (with Pictures)
- How To Plant Trees To Conserve Energy for Summer Shade
- How to Use Bone Meal Fertilizer in Your Garden
- How to Use Hydroton (Expanded Clay Pellets) in the Garden
- How to use Rockwool Cubes for Growing, Seed Starting, and Cutting Propagation
- Hydroponic Drip System Explained
- Hydroponic Growing Media 101 – The Ultimate Guide
- Hydroponic Nutrient Solution – The Essential Guide
- Hydroponic Systems – Different Types and How They Work
- Hydroponic Wick Systems: The Training Wheels Of The Hydroponic World
- Hydroponics vs. Aquaponics – A Complete, and Honest Comparison
- Indoor Grow Lights – What types of lights are used to grow plants?
- June Bugs – How to Control and Eliminate These Irritating Pests
- Kind LED Grow Light Review – Are These LEDs Worth It?
- Landscape Fabric in the Garden – What it is, Pros, Cons, and How to Use
- Lawn Watering and Irrigation – A Beginner’s Guide
- Miracle Gro Aerogarden Reviews
- Mushroom Compost – What it is, and How to Use it
- Organic Hydroponics Guide & How to Use Organic Nutrients in Hydroponics
- Parts of a Plant and Their Functions (With Diagram)
- Plasma Grow Light Guide
- Poor landscaping can decrease property value by as much as 30%
- Straw Bale Gardening – A Ultimate Guide
- TDS, EC, and PPM Explained
- The Best Backyard & Landscaping Lighting Ideas
- The Best Carbon Filters For Grow Rooms
- The Best COB LED Grow Lights – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
- The Best Grass Shears For A Neat And Tidy Garden – Buyer’s Guide
- The Best Grow Boxes for Hydroponic Growing You Can Buy Today
- The Best Grow Tents of 2023
- The Best Hydroponic Air Pumps Explained & Reviewed
- The Best Lawn Sweepers Reviews – Essential Tools For Your Lawn
- The Best Organic Fertilizers & How to Use Them
- The Best Organic Lawn Fertilizers – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
- The Best Plant Humidifiers – Buyer’s Guide
- The Best Pruning Saws (Hand, Pole, Folding) For Trees
- The Best Seedling Heat Mats and Thermostats For Propagation
- The Kratky Method – Grow Food The Passive Hydroponic Way (Step by Step Guide)
- Top 10 Chimineas of 2023 – Warm up & Decorate Your Garden With These Rustic Fireplaces
- Top 10 Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
- Top 10 Mosquito Killers – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
- Top 4 Compost Tumblers For Home & Garden Waste
- Top 5 Aquarium Heaters Buying Guide and Reviews
- Top 6 Free Landscape Design Software Tools
- Top 7 Fertilizer Spreaders for Your Lawn and Garden in 2023 – Buying Guide
- Top 8 Most Reliable & Best Dandelion Killers – Get These Weeds Off Your Garden & Lawn
- Tree Care Tips & Techniques
- Using Distilled Water for Plants – A Beginner’s Guide
- Using Tap Water For Hydroponics
- Vertical Hydroponics – A Basic Introduction
- Viparspectra Review – Should You Buy These LED Lights?
- What Are The Best T5 Grow Lights For Indoor Growing?
- What Are The Best Water Chillers For Hydroponics?
- What Can You Compost? And What Cannot Be Composted?
- What is lawn aeration? When and how to do it?
- What is Peat Moss? What is it used for?
- What is Perlite? What is its use in the garden?
- What is the Nutrient Film Technique – NFT? How does it work?
- What is Vermiculite? What is it used for?
- Why Is Humus Important For Your Garden?