If you grow roses or tomatoes, it’s likely that you’ve heard of people tre... Read More
10 Best Rain Barrels for Your Home & Garden in 2024
Epsom Salt for Plants – Tips For Using Epsom Salt In The Garden
23 Cheap & Amazing Garden Edging Ideas You Can Try
Stuck for inspiration on ways to tidy up the perimeter of your garden? A n... Read More
Organic Hydroponics Guide & How to Use Organic Nutrients in Hydroponics
Organic crop farming aims to grow plants for food, decoration, medicine or... Read More
We reviewed over 60 rain barrels to find the top 10 picks. Take a look at our reviews of the top rain barrels and read our buyers’ guide to learn about the features and costs to consider.
10 Top-Rated Rain Barrels
- Algreen Products Cascata Rain Barrel 65w
- Enviro World Rain Barrel
- FCMP Outdoor Catcher 4000
- G Rain Barrel Water Collector Collapsible Tank
- Gardener’s Supply Company Rain Barrel
- Good Ideas IMP-L50-OAK
- Good Ideas Rain Wizard
- Good Ideas Rain Wizard 50
- Mirainbarrel Rain Barrel, DIY Kit, Used Food Grade Barrel, Upcyclzed, 58
- RTS Home Accents Rain Barrel
Algreen Products Cascata Rain Barrel 65
The Algreen Products Cascata Rain Barrel 65 is perfect for people looking for a stylish addition to their yard that’s highly functional. It has an elegant terracotta design topped with a crown planter for an added decorative touch. Molded from plastic, the rain barrel isn’t overly heavy when empty, and the materials are BPA-free, meaning chemicals won’t leach into your water. The Cascata Rain Barrel has a brass spigot and hose attachment, with one connector at the bottom of the barrel so you can access all the collected water. People looking for more storage can link multiple Cascata Rain Barrels with an Algreen’s linking kit to expand their water harvesting system.
- Food-grade materials
- Crown planter
- Overflow valve
- Brass spigot plus hose attachment
- Pump kit available
- Low faucet makes it hard to fill a watering can
- Top dish collects water and debris if not used as a planter
Enviro World Rain Barrel
The Enviro World Rain Barrel features a flat back, square design, so it’s easy to fit against a wall or in a corner. It holds 55 gallons of harvested water and can be linked to other barrels if you need more storage. Made from high-density polyethylene that’s easy to clean, the Enviro World Rain Barrel comes complete with a brass spigot, extension hose, and steel screen that protects your water from debris and insects. Parents will appreciate the screw-on lid that stops young children from accessing the barrel. The overflow valve directs extra water away from your house, and the spigot’s high position means you don’t need a stand to fill a watering can or bucket.
- Can be linked to other barrels
- Lid can be secured for child safety
- Mosquito-proof screen included
- Flat back design is easy to position
- Very high spigot means a lot of water is inaccessible
- Water can become stagnant if not used
FCMP Outdoor Catcher 4000
The flat back of the FCMP Outdoor Catcher 4000 makes it easy to install, yet it still has an appealing wooden barrel design to help it blend in with your garden. The lid’s spoke-and-wheel pattern helps keep children and pets safe. The barrel is made from recycled, BPA-free propylene, which is also UV-inhibited, a feature that helps stop algae from forming in your water. The Outdoor Catcher’s overflow connection lets you attach a hose to direct water to your garden, protecting your foundation. It has a 45-gallon capacity and spigots on either side that allow it to be connected to multiple barrels. It comes complete with a debris screen, garden hose, hanging hose clip, overflow hose, and linking kit.
- BPA-free plastic
- Can connect multiple barrels
- Appealing design
- Made from recycled materials
- Small storage capacity
- Screen mesh has large holes, which might not deter mosquitos
G Rain Barrel Water Collector Collapsible Tank
The G Rain Barrel Water Collector Collapsible Tank is perfect for people who need temporary water storage capabilities or those who live in cold climates and need to store their barrel over the winter. This barrel is made of durable, yet flexible, plastic and can be easily folded and stored in a small space. Five rods stabilize the barrel, keeping it upright as it fills with water. It holds 50 gallons of water, and the top zips up to keep out mosquitos and debris.
- Collapsible for easy storage
- Easy to move when needed
- Durable material
- Difficult to keep upright when full
- Easier to damage than molded plastic
Gardener’s Supply Company Rain Barrel
The Gardener’s Supply Company Rain Barrel is made of UV-stable polyethylene, which helps prevent algae growth in the water and protects the barrel from the sun. With its 75-gallon capacity, this rain barrel is big enough for many gardeners’ needs, but it can also be connected to a second barrel if required. There’s a brass tap included so you can fill a watering can and a threaded fitting that allows a garden hose to be attached. The childproof top helps keep the family safe, and a screen catches leaves and debris. The stone-look barrel comes with decorative feet to enhance its visual appeal in your backyard.
- Secured top to keep children and pets safe
- Can be connected to a second barrel
- Visually appealing
- Easy to move when empty
- Small nozzle means poor water flow
- Spigots had issues with consistent quality
Good Ideas IMP-L50-OAK
The Good Ideas IMP-L50-OAK has a palm trunk finish, making it an attractive addition to any backyard. The molded plastic barrel holds 50 gallons, is BPA-free, and comes with a planter top for added visual appeal. There are two spigot locations, so you can use a hose and fill a watering can at the same time. The built-in overflow system diverts water to the front of the barrel to keep it away from the house, and there’s an anti-debris and bug screen. These rain barrels are made in the U.S.A. and come with a manufacturer’s warranty for peace of mind.
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Anti-debris and bug screen
- Attached lid for the safety of children and pets
- Lid doesn’t come off completely, making it hard to clean
- Overflow occasionally floods out the planter
Good Ideas Rain Wizard
Constructed to look like a terracotta urn, the Good Ideas Rain Wizard can blend into your existing garden. The top planter self-drains, helping any plant you place there to stay healthy. Made from BPA-free plastic, the Rain Wizard has a 65-gallon capacity and can be connected to any other Rain Wizard barrels. It has a flat back design to sit flush against a wall, and the molded top helps keep out children, pets, and wildlife. A routed channel diverts overflow away from your house, helping protect your foundation from water damage. The Rain Wizard comes with a mesh screen to keep out debris and a sturdy brass spigot so you can easily access water.
- Flat back design optimizes space
- Overflow is diverted away from house foundation
- Visually appealing
- Can’t remove lid, so difficult to clean
- Must be raised off the ground to use spigot
Good Ideas Rain Wizard 50
The Good Ideas Rain Wizard 50 is designed to look like a classic wooden barrel, making it a stylish addition to any yard. It’s made of UV-resistant polyethylene resin, which resists mold, rust, algae, and mildew, keeping your water as clean as possible. The plastic is durable, so it can stand up to cold weather. There’s a flat back, allowing the barrel to rest against your house and collect water from the downspout. A front overflow ensures excess water flows away from your foundation, and the brass overflow spigot can be connected to a hose if you want overflow to go to a specific garden area.
- Made from recycled materials
- Plastic mesh screen keeps out debris and wildlife
- Can connect multiple barrels
- Low spigot placement requires a stand to access water
- Top can’t be removed for cleaning
Mirainbarrel Rain Barrel, DIY Kit, Used Food Grade Barrel, Upcyclzed, 58
The Rain Barrel, DIY Kit, Used Food Grade Barrel, Upcycled, 58 is made from a repurposed, previously used plastic barrel that’s been sealed with waterproof, 100% silicone caulk, meaning it can stand up to harsh winters. This 58-gallon container is made from food-grade plastic, so you don’t need to be concerned about chemicals entering the water. A twist top lid allows the entire barrel to be cleaned to ensure mildew and algae doesn’t build up, and a plastic mesh screen catches debris and deters mosquitos. The barrel comes with a brass spigot, overflow valve, and downspout adapter.
- Environmentally-friendly design
- Food grade plastic
- Twist top lid for easy cleaning
- Not designed to connect with other barrels
- Valve consistency may be a problem
RTS Home Accents Rain Barrel
The wood grain finish on the RTS Home Accents Rain Barrel makes it an attractive addition to a home. The flat back ensures it sits against a wall, and an optional stand can lift the barrel to make it easy to access water. The aluminum screen keeps out debris and insects while keeping the barrel child- and pet-safe. If the Home Accents Rain Barrel’s 50-gallon capacity isn’t large enough, you can link it to other barrels to increase your water storage capacity. The dual overflow valves release to the front of the barrel to protect your foundation, and the high-quality spigot can be attached to any standard garden hose.
- Easily links to other barrels
- Overflows away from house
- Attractive wood grain finish
- Lid not removable, so difficult to clean
- Back bows slightly when the barrel is filled with water
Rain Barrel Buying Guide
What to look for
There are many types of rain barrels available, but buyers have common considerations when deciding on the right system. Here are some features to think about when choosing your rain barrel:
- Size. Determine how much water your garden needs and how much your roof can collect when choosing a barrel size. If you’re just starting out with water harvesting, consider buying a barrel you can link to others so the system can be expanded in the future.
- Tight lid. Rain barrels are often attractive to kids, pets, and wild animals. A tight lid helps keep your water secure and your loved ones safe. A good-quality, secure mesh screen prevents mosquitoes from breeding in the barrel.
- Materials. Rain barrels come in plastic, earthenware, concrete, and other materials. Whichever you choose, make sure it’s durable and easy to move if needed. Look for UV-protected materials to help prevent algae formation, and if you choose plastic, make sure it’s BPA-free, so chemicals don’t leach into the water.
- Overflow system. Once your barrel is full, the water needs to go somewhere, and you don’t want it to run toward your house where it may cause damage. Look for a system that directs excess to the front of the barrel or lets you attach a hose to redirect overflow to your garden.
The cost of a rain barrel depends on the material it’s made from, the size, and any added features, such as pumps or filters. A basic, ready-made barrel can cost around $70, and you might pay $250 to $300 for a well-designed, visually appealing system. You can expect to pay $120 to $160 for everything you need in a starter barrel. Spending some extra money can give you a better-quality system that isn’t prone to cracking during the winter months and has extra features, such as an overflow valve and good-quality spigots and screens.